We are self-supported artists. With hard working hands and creative hearts, we craft wearable art into reality our dreams with imagination and perseverance.
Jannelle Olmstead ~ artist
I opened my studio in 1995 where my love for art, imagination, mythology and history could all take flight. I work out of my studio creating accessories for Renaissance, Faerie, and Celtic Festivals. Now I’m retiring from these ventures so I will look forward to more time to create uniquely inspired artworks for the modern wearer. With the focus on accessories as wearable art, I will continue to design a very unique look that transform the wearer from function to Fancy. Each One-of-A-Kind creation brings it’s own enchanting finishing touch, all handcrafted with extra attention to every detail. I’ve been creating for over 40 years using oil and acrylic paints on wood and canvas, plaster relief paintings, fabric dyeing and quilting, crewel stitchery, jewelry beadwork and creative sewing all while drafting my own original patterns.
When my kids were in high school I returned to college with every intention of becoming a teacher in Art Education and Skills for Living. But after I earned my Bachelor of Fine Arts at Eastern Michigan University I open my own art studio. My first four years as Something Else Studio were dedicated to designing/creating custom made renaissance wedding attire and headpieces before I and joined a very talented group of gypsies know as renaissance festival artisans and had the times of my life with the most supportive and a creative group of fellow crafters and the passionate patrons that support us! Now I look ahead to bring some of that same enchantment to textile artworks and wearable accessories with a modern twist.
1993 B.S. Fine Art Education, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
1989-1991 Transferred various Fine Art Classes, Oakland Community College, Southfield, MI
1976 Eaton Rapids High School, Eaton Rapids, MI
Joe Guarnere ~ artist
I’ve been in business for over 60 years designing custom cabinetry and doing fine restoration work. Constructing furniture using exotic woods and finishes has made me a master carpenter and woodworker. I also designed and created the portable booth/festival building we have hauled around the country for several years.
Now that I’m retired I’ve decided to go miniature and build creations with my wife at Something Else Studio. We are both looking forward to new adventures.
- 2012 Guest artisan on First Friday, Hungerford Bldg, Rochester, NY
- 2008 Clearwater Great Hudson River Revival, Croton-on-Hudson, NY
- 2008 King Richards Faire (4 weekend event), Carver, MA
- 2008 – 2010 Spoutwood May Day Faerie Festival, Glenrock, PA
- 2007- 2017 Maryland Renaissance Festival (9 weekend event), Annapolis, MD
- 2007- 2008 Niagara Celtic Festival, Olcett Beach, NY
- 2007 Western Pennsylvania Faire Festival, Slippy Rock, PA
- 2007 Celebration Of Celts, East Chatham, NY
- 2005 – 2012 Sterling Renaissance Festival (7 weekend event), Sterling, NY
- 2006 Medieval Midwinter, Rochester, NY
- 2005 – 2006 Clothesline Festival, Memorial Art Gallery, Rochester, NY
- 2005 Celtic Fling, Manheim, PA
- 2005 Healing and The Arts, The Springs, Clifton Springs, NY
- 2005 – 2007 Connecticut Renaissance Festival (4 weekend event), Putnam, CT
- 2005 Highbanks Celtic Gathering, Letchworth State Park, NY
- 2005 Medieval Majesty (6 weekend event), Linden, PA
- 2004- 2005 The Family Medieval & Fantasy Festival, Stanhope, NJ
- 2003- 2005 The Gallery Without Walls, Art in Public Spaces, Roch. NY
- 2003 Baycrafter’s Renaissance Fantasy Fayre, Bayview, OH
- 2003 Salon des Refuses, Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY
- 2002 Eclectic Works, Pink Salmon Gallery, Clifton Springs, NY
- 2002 Beardleys Castle Medieval Faire, Little Falls, NY
- 2000- 2004 Custom Made To Measure Wedding Attire in Rochester, NY wedding venues (samples gowns in runway shows)
- 1999 Genesse Valley Quilt Show, Rochester, NY
- 2009 Renaissance Magazine, Special Wedding Issue, featured several of headpieces along with other artisans wedding attire.
- 2003 Democrat and Chronicle Newspaper, Rochester, NY